Salary: £22,667 pro rata Hours: (22.5 per week).
The post is part of a three years project and 18 months have been delivered, therefore this post advertised is 18 months with a possibility of hours and length of contract extended subject to funding.
We have an exciting role in our organisation for someone who is passionate and committed in making a difference in the community, working with disabled children, young people and their families from our diverse communities, advocating for and with them on their rights and inclusion.
Include Me TOO (IM2) is a charity championing disability rights and inclusion, social justice and equality for all disabled children and young people nationally and internationally. We work with disabled children and their families from African Caribbean, South Asian, and Minoritised Ethnic communities, (commonly referred as Black and Asian Minority Ethnic (BAME). Our charity provides support, access to services, information, choices to improve disabled children, young people, and their parents and carers quality of family and community life.
IM2 deliver specialist projects, ranging from increasing engagement, participation, and fun activities, to providing outreach family support, peer support and advocacy.
We are seeking for an Outreach and Advocacy Support Officer to join our team as part of the ‘Reaching Out’ project, funded by the National Lottery Fund and Henry Smith Charity.
Reaching Out aim:
Our ‘Reaching Out’ project, which provides Include Me TOO’s advocacy, support, and empowerment programme service. This is specifically designed to support the needs of parents and carers from ‘BAME and marginalised communities’ families with disabled children and young people. They are supported in accessing early intervention solutions that are right for their circumstances. Include Me TOO’s, holistic, family-centred approach empowers families and its extended members to develop their skills and knowledge so that they can successfully navigate statutory services and access a level of disability support appropriate for their child’s needs.
The Outreach and Advocacy Support Officer will:
- Work closely alongside local special educational needs schools, statutory, faith, and community-based organisations to reach out to ‘BAME and other marginalised communities’ parents and carers of disabled children and young people.
- Facilitating and organising participation and engagement events/activities.
- Liaise with organisations and advocate on behalf of parents and carers of disabled children to support their access to information, support, resources and relevant grants.
- Provide a peer-to-peer approach with a team of volunteers removing the barriers and challenges that ‘BAME and marginalised communities’ parents and carers expereiece to accessing support.
- Providing outreach support and access to disability awareness and information training. Organise and attend community events with volunteers to reach out to families and communities who the project is aiming to support and reach.
We are looking for someone who can speak at least one Asian community language and a enthusiastic person, with great communication skills who has experience in working with ‘BAME and marginalised communities’. If you are genuinely passionate about making a difference to the lives of disabled children and their families then we would like to hear from you.
For more information please contact with us on (01902) 399888 email firstname.lastname@example.org
CLOSING DATE: Monday 30th June 2021 Interview date: Week commencing Monday 5th July 2021